Did you miss any of ILTA’s programming for knowledge management professionals this past year? Below is a catalog of what you may have missed. Because programming is member-driven based on your requests and feedback, the categorization below gives you insight into what your peers think are hot topics.
But first, some background for those new to ILTA programming. ILTA produces KM programming in a variety of formats, building upon timely themes. Each year, you can count on targeted articles and sessions in the Knowledge Management White Paper, typically published in June, and at ILTACON, held in August. Throughout the rest of the year, the ILTA KM blog delivers a steady stream of thoughtful content approximately every two weeks. Keep an eye out for articles in other places, such as the Peer to Peer magazine, and ad hoc sessions, such as webinars, virtual roundtables and vendor product briefings. To facilitate open sharing and discussion, the latter are not always recorded, so be sure to attend those with topics of interest to you. Lastly, the Connected Community Discussion Board features lively Q&A and announcements among an active, 1600-member community.
And because Knowledge Management can touch on many other areas, don’t forget to check out programming that may not be specifically targeted to KMers but is relevant to you nonetheless. Searches in the Connected Community will lead you to publications, recordings and discussions across a multitude of areas. Also browse the ILTA TV page where you will find dozens of short interviews with thought leaders in fields that touch Knowledge Management directly and indirectly.
Note that you do need to be an ILTA member to access many of these resources. What are you waiting for?
Artificial Intelligence/Expert Systems
- Professor Daniel Martin Katz, J.D., Ph.D., Artificial Intelligence – The Impact of AI and Real Business Applications in Legal, LegalTech Hong Kong, 2016 (slides only).
- Steve Obenski and Rob Warren, Reduce Contract Review Pain Points with Machine Learning, ILTA webinar, Feb. 25, 2016.
- Gareth Thomas, RAVN ACE: AI to Automatically Read, Interpret and Summarise Key Information from Documents and Unstructured Data, ILTA webinar, Mar. 9. 2016.
- Lesha Van Der Bij, Staying Ahead of the Artificial Intelligence Curve, ILTA KM blog, Mar. 15, 2016.
- Julian Tsisin, Demystifying the Hottest Trend in Technology: Machine Learning for Lawyers, Legal Innovation & Tech Fest, Melbourne, 2016 (recording only).
- Eric Hunter, Machine-Learning Algorithms Are Still Kind of Stupid, Knowledge Management White Paper, June 2016.
- Andrew Arruta, Artificial Intelligence Systems and the Law, Peer to Peer Magazine, June 2016.
- Meredith Williams, Bringing Knowledge to the Forefront with AI, Peer to Peer Magazine, June 2016.
- Lisa Houston, A KM Lawyer’s Quick Guide to Document Assembly, ILTA KM blog, Jul. 28, 2016.
- Michael Dov Nogroski, Julian Tsisin, Kingsley Martin, and Amy Harvey, Automated Contract Review: Machine Learning Comes to Corporate Law, ILTACON, 2016 (recording and slides).
- Julian Tsisin, Dera Jardine Nevin, Noah Waisberg, Silvia Leblanc, and Peter Wallqvist, Choosing the Right Artificial Intelligence for the Job, ILTACON, 2016 (recording and slides).
- Kim Stein, KM with Document Automation: A Game-Changer for Client Service, Peer to Peer Magazine, Oct. 2016.
- Joe Hoegler and David Kiefer, Modernizing the Collaboration Toolbox, SharePoint 365 Symposium, 2016 (recording and slides).
- Ginevra Saylor, Transforming Tacit Knowledge: Making the Most of What You Know, Knowledge Management White Paper, June 2016.
- Patrick DiDomenico, Ginevra Saylor, Raul Taveras, Katherine Lowry, and Cindy Thurston Bare, The Social Collaboration Tools Making a Meal Out of Email, ILTACON, 2016 (recording and slides).
- April Brousseau, Architecting Information for Business Transformation, Knowledge Management White Paper, June 2016.
- Patrick Tisdale, John Christenson & Megan Beauchemin, Data Analytics You Can Do Now in Legal, ILTACON, 2016 (recording and slides).
- Kingsley Martin and Karl Haraldsson, Using the Right Data To Drive Your KM Program, ILTACON, 2016 (recording and slides).
- Jan Van Hoecke, Ken Grady, Gurinder Sangha, Shipra Dingare, New Tools for Old Data: Computational Linguistics and the Practice of Law, ILTACON, 2016 (recording only).
- Chris Emerson, John A Metz, and Liam Brown, Data Mining: Leveraging Information To Make Strategic Decisions, ILTACON, 2016 (recording and slides).
- Amy Halverson, All About Data, ILTA KM blog, Oct. 3, 2016.
- Gwyn McAlpine, Advancing KM in a Security-Conscious World, Knowledge Management White Paper, June 2016.
- Product Showcases, Aug. 7, 2016:
- Sandy J. Mikita, Steven R. McCue, Ryan Helmer, Leon Carelli, Ray Young, and Kateri Grillot, Alternative Document Management Systems, ILTACON, 2016 (recording and slides).
- Charlene Wacenske, Julie J. Colgan, Leigh Isaacs, Samantha J Lofton, and Jill Sterbakov Matters from Laterals: A Matter Mobility Workshop, ILTACON, 2016 (recording and slides).
Enterprise Search/Expertise Location
- Joshua Fireman, Stop Limiting Your Ferrari to Grocery Trips: Using Enterprise Search for Deeper Integration, ILTA KM blog, May 11, 2016.
- Joshua Fireman, OpenText’s New Purchase: A Requiem for Recommind?, ILTA KM blog, Jun. 7, 2016.
- Flyn L. Flesher, Boosting Enterprise Search with Better Metadata, Knowledge Management White Paper, June 2016.
- Philip Bryce, Michael Tominna, and Sally Gonzalez, Is Enterprise Search Worth the Money?, ILTACON, 2016 (recording and slides).
- Kate Cain, Marybeth Corbett, Julie Bozzell, and Joshua Fireman, Finding a Needle in a Haystack with 21st-Century Expertise Systems, ILTACON, 2016 (recording only).
- Steven Lastres, Why Librarians Should Attend ILTACON, ILTACON blog, Jul. 5, 2016.
- David Hobbie, ILTACON 2016—Sessions of Interest To Knowledge Management Professionals, ILTACON blog, Jul. 29, 2016.
- David Hobbie, ILTACON 2016 For KMers, ILTA KM Blog, Aug. 4, 2016.
- See more from ILTACON here.
- Andrea Alliston and Nicola Shaver, One Size Does Not Fit All: Practice Group KM, Knowledge Management White Paper, June 2016.
- Meredith Williams, Cultivating a Sharing Organization: Incentives That Really Work, Knowledge Management White Paper, June 2016.
- Amy Halverson, What Can Legal KM Learn from Other Professional Services Organizations?, Knowledge Management White Paper, June 2016 (Winner of ILTA’s 2016 Outstanding Member-Contributed White Paper Article).
- Patrick DiDomenico, The Future of Legal Knowledge Management, ILTA KM blog, Aug. 16, 2016.
- Rob Saccone, Patrick DiDomenico and Sam Nickless, The Future of Legal KM, ILTACON, 2016 (recording and slides).
- V. Mary Abraham, A Field Guide for Agents of Change, ILTACON, 2016 (slides only).
- Peter Krakaur, Oz Benamram, Sally Gonzalez, and Tami Baddeley, Building KM Together: Creating Collaboration Between Law Firms and Law Departments, ILTACON, 2016 (slides only).
- Charlotte M. Logullo, Lisa Kellar Gianakos, Sarah Andrews, and Andy Peterson, Don’t Do That! Lessons from the IT and KM Trenches, ILTACON, 2016 (recording and slides).
- Mara Nickerson, Ginevra Saylor, Debbie Ting, and Silvia Leblanc, Supporting Lateral Attorney Integration Through Knowledge Management, ILTACON, 2016 (slides only).
- Oz Benamram, Interview, ILTA TV, 2016 (re: increasing focus on knowledge management).
- Meredith Williams, Interview, ILTA TV, 2016 (re: knowledge management and connecting with the practice of law).
- Mara Nickerson, Even If They Don’t Ask – It’s Time to Do Some Soul Searching, ILTA KM blog, Oct. 19. 2016.
- Dan Hauck, Four Lessons Lawyers Can Learn from Software Developers, ILTA KM blog, Oct. 31, 2016.
- V. Mary Abraham, and Lee-Sean Huang, Design Thinking for Applications Development and Knowledge Management: An Interactive Workshop, ILTACON, 2016 (recording and slides).
- Ron Friedmann, Rohit Talwar, Josias N Dewey, and Tori Adams, When Will Blockchains and Smart Contracts Be Important in Legal, ILTACON, 2016.
- Ryan McClead, Dan Lear, Susan Hackett, and Sam Nickless, Grading Susskind: The State of Legal 20 Years After the “Future of Law”, ILTACON, 2016 (recording and slides).
- Katie Debord and Matt Homann, Hacking Law Firm Innovation, ILTACON, 2016 (recording only).
- Henry Bernet, Charlotte Logullo and Jennifer Raatz, Innovate Your SharePoint!, SharePoint 365 Symposium, 2016 (slides and recording).
- Erika Emrick and Tim Kenney Stories of Innovation: Leveraging O365 Tools Today and Tomorrow, SharePoint 365 Symposium, 2016 (slides and recording).
- See more from the SharePoint 365 Symposium here.
In 2017, we have big plans for programing relevant to KM professionals. Look for a year-long focus on artificial intelligence and the changing legal market. In addition, the biennial KM survey, which provides useful comparability metrics, is due to be published in July 2017. If you have suggestions for content you would like to see, respond to this blog post or feel free to contact me directly. Better yet, start a discussion amongst your peers on the Connected Community Discussion Board.
*For all the Blue Book die-hards out there, sorry. Just use the links. You’ll find it.